Tenzin Choeying passes away; cremation in McLeod Ganj on Wednesday

Tenzin Choeying, a 19-year-old student from Central University of Tibetan Studies in Varanasi, died in Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi on 22 July 2017. He set himself on fire for Tibet's freedom at the university on 14 July.

Tenzin Choeying, a 19-year-old student from Central University of Tibetan Studies in Varanasi, died in Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi on 22 July 2017. He set himself on fire for Tibet's freedom at the university on 14 July. TYC Handout

Tibet Sun Online News

ON THE WEB, 23 July 2017

Tenzin Choeying, 19-year-old student from Central University of Tibetan Studies, who set himself on fire last week to protest Chinese rule in Tibet, has died in a hospital in Delhi on Saturday.

Choeying’s body will be cremated in McLeod Ganj on Wednesday. Tibetan Youth Congress is organising the cremation at the request of his family.

“TYC plan to transport the body to Dharamshala tomorrow, the 24th, and reach there by 25th morning. The cremation will take place on the 26th morning, as advised by Tibetan astrological calculations,” TYC spokesperson Tsewang Dolma told Tibet Sun.

President of the Central Tibetan Administration Lobsang Sangay has said: “His sacrifice for the cause of Tibet is to be honoured. We echo and support his aspirations. But please remember the life of every Tibetan is precious and we must be alive to fight for our cause.”

President of the Tibetan Youth Congress Tenzing Jigme wrote on this Facebook page: “Absolutely heartbroken to hear the news that Pawo Tenzin Choeying passed away at 4:50pm in Safdarjung Hospital. I send my deepest prayers and condolences to his family. He was a brave man who always put Tibet first. I admire the courage and dedication he had for his country and his people.”

Choeying was a third-year student of Sanskrit and an active member of the Tibetan Youth Congress.

He set himself on fire after pouring kerosene oil on himself at his hostel on the campus of Central University in Sarnath near Varanasi, on 14 July.

Video captured on a CCTV and posted on the Internet showed Choeying running through a hallway engulfed in flames. Reports said that some students extinguished the fire by putting a blanket on him, and rushed him to a hospital.

Reports said he raised slogans of Tibetan freedom.

He was airlifted to Delhi after his condition worsened with 90 per cent burns. He died in Safdarjung Hospital on Saturday amidst family members and supporters.


Copyright © 2017 Tibet Sun Published in Tibet Sun Posted in News » Tags: , , ,