Youth dies of electrocution in McLeod Ganj

The site where Penpa Sonam was electrocuted

The site where Penpa Sonam was electrocuted in Meethanalla area in McLeod Ganj, India, on 13 September 2012. Tibetan Settlement Office Handout

By Lobsang Wangyal | Tibet Sun

MCLEOD GANJ, India, 14 September 2012

A Tibetan youth has died after he was electrocuted while taking pictures for an environment project on Thursday, according to a Tibetan Settlement Office press release.

Penpa Sonam, 27, went to take pictures around Meethanalla area on Bhagsu Road where heaps of garbage have been dumped. He was electrocuted by live wires that passed over the site.

Witnesses said his head brushed against the live wire of which he was unaware, and he immediately fell to the ground. He was rushed to the nearby Tibetan Delek Hospital where the doctor pronounced him dead.

Penpa had been recently appointed as the Assistant Environment Co-ordinator under the Tibetan Settlement Office in McLeod Ganj. The office has been running an environment project to clean McLeod Ganj since 1994 through waste collection and recycling programmes.

Tibetan Settlement Officer Sonam Dorjee while extending his condolences towards the death of his colleague, urged the local administrator, particularly the officials of
Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board, to take necessary measures to avoid similar tragedies in the future.


Copyright © 2012 Tibet Sun Published in Tibet Sun Posted in News » Tags: ,